Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Where do I, "Mrs. Vicar", fit in?

Over the past two years in Fort Wayne, Adam has been attending classes. I've been working 40+ hours a week. We were both quite busy and have been in that familiar higher education routine for 6 years.

And now that routine has changed. Adam has begun his full-time+ job as Vicar. And I'm not working full-time, which is an odd feeling.

{So what did I do today, my first day in a long long time without a job? I went to IKEA (surprise, surprise :-) ;-)) and had a "Sarah Day" to chillax after the busy weekend.}

While putting dishes away this afternoon, I thought to myself, Where do I fit in? What am I to do? What is my role? What will this creature of habit's new routine be?

I then remembered a SWA (student wives association) event I attended. The vicar and pastor wives panel event came to mind...this certain get together consisted of questions and answers; the newer wives sought advice, encouragement and direction from the more experienced wives.

Here are some of the things that I remember from this event and I pass these onto you, fellow wives, who, like myself, may need a bit of encouragement as we adjust to our new environment and role.

Your role as wife is to make the house a home, a sanctuary, a place of rest and rejuvenation. 
Support your husband's ministry by supporting him with encouragement, a listening ear, a shoulder to lean on.
His church is your church too. Get involved and join the church family. 
The Lord has placed you and your family in this congregation - trust in Him and His plan. 

Remembering these pieces of advice give me a sense of resolve, encouragement. Thank you to those wives who shared their experiences. Your words lessen the "odd puzzle piece" feeling, for as wives, we too have a vital role in the ministry. We are an important piece of the puzzle.

Jeremiah 29:11  For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." 


1 comment: